Hastings State Hospital
|Hastings State Hospital|
|Current Status||Closed and Preserved|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Hastings State Hospital was established by an act of the legislature (Laws 1899 c230) as the Second State Asylum for the Insane. The site of Hastings, Minnesota was chosen. At its opening in 1900, it served as a transfer asylum, admitting patients from other state hospitals. It did not admit women until 1944 except for four years staring in 1905. The hospital's name was changed to Hastings State Asylum in 1919 and to Hastings State Hospital in 1937. Hastings State Hospital was closed on May 1st, 1978. All patients were either transferred or discharged to homes or other state hospitals or facilities. The second state veterans home was established on the site of the hospital.
Hastings State Hospital was the first in the state to discontinue use of physical restraints fro mentally ill patients, to implement regional coordination, and to open a regional service for drug dependency. It was also one of the leading hospitals in terms of developing partial hospitalization, adolescent treatment services, and education programs. At its closing, it was also one of the first hospitals to offer benefits for its' workers. All employees were offered employment in the Department of Public Welfare or other state agencies with no loss of salary or benefits.
Hastings State Hospital was one of the two original state asylums in Minnesota. Its architectural organization was according to the cottage plan, which allowed for a cozier, more "home-like" atmosphere for the patients. Many of these buildings are examples of the Tudor Revival style and are more ornate than the plain brick buildings at Anoka.
Images of Hastings State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Hastings State Hospital
Hastings has 2 cemeteries, the first was used from the hospital's opening through 1944. A second cemetery was used from then until 1964. A total of about 900 graves are within both cemeteries.