Herrick House Childrens Center

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Herrick House Childrens Center
Opened 1921
Current Status Active
Building Style Single Building
Location Chicago, IL
Alternate Names
  • Herrick House
  • Sunset Camp Service League


Herrick House, originally chartered in 1921 as the Sunset Camp Service League, operated in Bartlett as a philanthropic vacation center for children. Renamed for Dr. James B. Herrick in 1950, Herrick House remained under private control until purchased by the Cook County Board of Commissioners in 1964. It was transferred by statute in 1969 to the jurisdiction of the Department of Children and Family Services to be maintained as a temporary care center for the purpose of receiving neglected or dependent children until completion of plans for their long-term or permanent placement in other child care facilities.