Jackson County Infirmary
|Jackson County Infirmary|
|Building Style||Single Building|
In July of 1911, the Indiana Department of Public Welfare visited the Infirmary. They reported:
"We found everything alright except that we utterly condemn the present insane department and recommend an entirely new structure. The new bathroom should be completed, and a cement floor should be places in the vegetable cellar. We commend the general management and cleanlinesss of the poor asylum." 
According the the Census, the Jackson County Infirmary contained a total of 31 paupers in 1910. There were 17 males, 14 females. Twenty-nine were native to the area, and two were not. There was one reported death in 1910.
The Jackson County Home once stood on South Jackson St in Brownstown. Land for the home was purchased in 1847 and the first building erected in 1850, it was a 16 x 25 foot log home. In March 1864 $5,000 was appropriated for building a county asylum. The 3 story brick building was torn down in 1975.
Images of Jackson County Infirmary
Main Image Gallery: Jackson County Infirmary
- Indiana Bulletic, Charities and Correction. Public Welfare in Indiana, Issues 84-87, Indiana Department of Public Welfare. August 1911. Accessed November 18th 2014.
- Bulletin, Issues 111-120, By United States. Bureau of the Census, United States. Census Office. 12th census, 1910. Accessed November 18th 2014