Lawrence County Poorhouse
|Lawrence County Poorhouse|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||Coal Grove, OH|
The original County Infirmary was completed in April, 1857. Simon Parker was the superintendent and Elias Nigh, clerk. The farm, in which corn and oats were raised, comprised twenty-six acres. The infirmary proper was a one-story brick building, 130 feet by 38 feet, and contained twenty-four rooms, which were never vacant. Superintendent Parker's residence was a two story house, with an L, about a quarter of the size of the main building. In 1918 or 1919, a small building was added to the property. In 1949, the infirmary was remodeled. The building had a total of fifty-five rooms. The third floor housed the twenty-two patients. Sixteen women and six men called the infirmary home in 1949. Many of the residents were “old-aged pensioners,” who could not afford to live elsewhere. Mr. and Mrs. Albert Hanshaw were superintendents in 1949. The couple made their home on the second floor of the building. The first floor included twelve rooms. The building’s new ten bed, hospital ward was located on this floor. The floor also housed the laundry room, heating plant and storage. People was not the only residents on the property. The infirmary boasted 230 chickens, bee hives and several hogs. A Shepherd named King had called the infirmary home for fifteen years before the construction in 1949.