Peoria Municipal Tuberculosis Sanatorium
|Peoria Municipal Tuberculosis Sanatorium|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||Hewitt, Emerson & Gregg|
The sanitarium’s first permanent building opened in 1919. Incurable and highly contagious, the disease colored the way the city lived and died. It was the leading cause of death in Peoria, and the United States, for the first three decades of the 1900s. It was the second TB sanitarium in Illinois, the first downstate. In its early days, the recommended treatment stay was at least a year, including six months total bed rest. The sanitarium closed in 1973, a willing victim of decades of public health campaigns and the discovery of an antibiotic called streptomycin. By the time its last 10 patients moved to a new pulmonary disease unit at what was then Saint Francis Hospital, almost 6,000 people had been treated at the sanitarium. Some stayed for two years or longer.