Richland County Infirmary
|Richland County Infirmary|
|Building Style||Single Building|
Richland County Commissioners purchased 160 acres to build the first county home in 1845 for the cost of $3,000. Additional land was purchased through the years and, at one time, the county home sat on 320 scenic country acres. Due to a land swap with the state, Dayspring now has 226 acres.
Dayspring was home to the paupers, infirm, disabled, and the insane of the county. Dayspring has been called by several names throughout the years such as The Infirmary, the Poor House, and Richland County Home. In 1995 the name was changed to Dayspring Assisted Living and Care Facility. Dayspring is an unlicensed facility with occupancy of 58 residents. The majority of rooms at Dayspring are private rooms. However, there are a few rooms that are double.
Today, Dayspring is a mix of non, partial, and full paying residents. In 2000, dayspring was approved as a VA Home. Residents from other counties are welcome at Dayspring but they must be a Richland County resident to receive subsidy from the County.
Historical Patient List
Reconstructed infirmary records, Richland County, Ohio, 1845-1955, Jan Purvis, 2005.