Sunbury Lunatic Asylum

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Sunbury Lunatic Asylum
Opened 1879 (mental hospital)
Closed 1992
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Sunbury, VIC
Alternate Names
  • Sunbury Hospital for the Insane
  • Sunbury Training Centre


In 1864 the site had functioned as an Industrial School for Children, in 1879 the children were boarded out, and the site was handed over to the Lunacy Department where it began operating as a Lunatic Asylum. In 1894 a women’s refractory compound was opened to accommodate refractory & difficult women who had been transferred out of the jail system. Today the facility is used by a university.