W.T. Edwards Sanitarium
|W.T. Edwards Sanitarium|
|Building Style||Single Building|
W.T. Edwards Tuberculosis Hospital
Though information is vague, Florida archives note W. T. Edwards as an important figure in state healthcare, donating significant amounts of money to various medical facilities. When a new series of state-of-the-art tuberculosis hospitals opened in roughly 1952, they were named in honor of W. T. Edwards. The hospitals were located all over the state of Florida, including Tampa, Lantana, Marianna, Tallahassee, Miami and several other cities in south Florida.
All of the hospital buildings were constructed in the same basic way. The main buildings were all very long and thin, consisting of 5 floors with a few smaller wings branching off from the main building. At the time, it was thought that fresh air was the best treatment for TB, so the buildings were riddled with multi-pane windows which could be opened by cranks. The back side of each building was a wall of windows, while the front windows were more evenly spaced apart, especially in sections that did not house patients.
When the vaccine for TB was discovered, there was no longer a need for tuberculosis hospitals and the W. T. Edwards Hospitals were all closed by the start of the 1960s. The facilities fell under the jurisdiction of the Florida Department of Health and it wouldn't take long for the hospitals to reopen as Sunlands across the state.
In 1967 the hospital reopened under the Sunland system and admitted it's first ten residents. However, very early on in it's second existence, the center was plagued by a lack of funds and staff leading to rumors of neglect and abuse. The center was soon closed in 1983 where it lay abandoned until it was demolished in 2006.
Images of W.T. Edwards Sanitarium
Main Image Gallery: W.T. Edwards Sanitarium