Ashland TB Hospital
|Ashland TB Hospital|
|Building Style||Single Building|
From the National Historic Register of Historic Places Registration Form The main building of the State Tuberculosis Hospital District 4 at Ashland KY is a 4 story steel frame structure with concrete floors and composite roof. Constructed in 1946, the hospital was integral to the state's crusade against TB in the 20th century. It is an almost identical twin to the Paris TB hospital.
A 30 acre tract of land was purchased by the state for use and benefit of the Kentucky Tuberculosis Sanatoria Commission as noted in the deed from March 1945. It was purchased from Alfred Hanses for $1. During the years 19245 to 1973 it remained a TB hospital until it was closed by the state. It remained vacant until 1985 when the Kentucky State Police started using the 4th floor as a forensic crime lab. In 1989 Safe Harbor Inc moved into the former nurses quarters and remain there today. The KSP crime lab has moved out of the main building but will likely be occupied by Pathways inc, an outpatient group. In early 2008, the main building and the other 4 buildings were added to the National Historic Register.