Laurel Sanatorium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Laurel Sanatorium
Established 1905
Closed 1964
Demolished 1970
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Cottage Plan


The Laurel Sanitarium was established in 1905 by Jesse C. Coggins, for nine years assistant physician at the Maryland Hospital, and Dr. Cornelius DeWeese, formerly assistant physician and pathologist at the Maryland Hospital for the Insane, and for four years physician-in-charge of the clinical laboratory of the Government Hospital in Washington.

The sanitarium is a private hospital for the care and treatment of nervous and mental diseases, alcoholic and drug addiction. It is located about one mile from Laurel, Md., and comprises five buildings.

The female building is a three-story frame structure, containing 30 bedrooms and five bathrooms, music room, library, three sun-parlors and spacious porches. The female annex, a twostory fireproof brick building, is situated near the main female building and is connected therewith by a fireproof corridor. This building contains 14 bedrooms and two bathrooms, one equipped with a continuous bath; it also has a sun-parlor and large porch.

The main building for men is a two-story frame building containing 36 bedrooms and six bathrooms. The gymnasium in the basement contains bowling alleys, billiard table, shuffle-board, rowing machine, punching bag and other exercises. Adjoining this room is the hydrotherapeutic room containing hot air cabinets, shower baths and massage tables.

The bungalow, a one-story frame structure, has six rooms, one bathroom and a sun-parlor.

The central or administration building is a three-story fireproof structure containing the offices, drug-room, examination room, record-room, store-room, central kitchen, five dining rooms, and eight bedrooms. All buildings are connected with the administration building by fireproof corridors, and are heated by a hot water system from the central heating plant in the fireproof basement of the administration building. The buildings and grounds are lighted by electricity ; the water supply is from the City of Laurel; the drinking water is supplied from an artesian well 325 feet deep.

The nursing is done by experienced nurses. Nurses are quartered on the third floor of their respective buildings. A night nurse of each service and an outside watchman are on duty at all times during the night.

A teacher is employed to teach the women needle-work, raffia, basket making, etc. In the men's group patients are employed at gardening, road-making and painting. The indoor amusements consist of musicales, cards, bowling, billiards and other games. Outdoor amusements are tennis, croquet and ball-playing.

The farm surrounding the sanitarium comprises 163 acres, which is laid out in walks, lawns, garden and fields; and the table is supplied from the herd, poultry yards and garden belonging to the institution.

The physicians-in-charge are Dr. Jesse C. Coggins and Dr. Cornelius DeWeese, owners and resident medical officers. [1]

In 1970, what remained on the grounds of the sanitarium was finally bull-dozed. A large department store, then several other stores followed on the newly-leveled site. Over the years several apartments and housing complexes were constructed nearby. Today, nothing remains that would ever indicate that the Laurel Sanitarium existed.

Images of Laurel Sanatorium[edit]

Main Image Gallery: Laurel Sanatorium