Marshall County Home
|Marshall County Home|
|Opened||1893 (Third Location)|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||Wing and Mahurin|
|Architecture Style||Romanesque Revival|
The original Marshall County Asylum was constructed in 1849, 3 miles west of Plymouth on LaPorte Rd. In 1853 the farm was sold to Joseph Evans and the inmates were housed by the lowest bidders in their property. This continued until 1862 when the poor farm was constructed 1 mile north of Tyner in the NW section of the county. This second farm had a large 2-story wood frame house and several farm-related buildings. In 1891 in was suggested that this structure be replaced by one made of brick or stone. The county sold the farm and moved to new property purchased in 1891, closer to Plymouth. The third Marshall County Home was built between 1892-1895 and was designed by Wing & Mahurin. It is located on 196 acres of land purchased in 1891, 3 miles east of Plymouth along what would later become the Lincoln Highway/U.S. 30 (now bypassed). The development included a large bank barn, and other agriculture structures which do not survive. It cost $79.547.50 to construct and had a capacity of 100 and followed the general design approved by the State Board of Charities.
In 1976 the county requested a study on the county home & it was suggested a new facility should be built. Instead money was raised to renovate the existing building & make an addition, while demolishing the infirmary building. The issues again came up in 1998. Instead of making needed repairs and upgrades, the county decided to sell the facility to a private owner. Today it is operated as the Otis R Bowen Center for Human Services, Shady Rest Home. It houses people from the age of 18 and older with serious mental and substance abuse issues. In 2009, the building was added to the National Historic Register.