Oklahoma State Training School for Incorrigible Negro Girls
|Oklahoma State Training School for Incorrigible Negro Girls|
|Building Style||Single Building|
Located near Taft, Oklahoma, this institution was for "delinquint, dependent or incorrigible" negro girls only. It was built in 1917 with a $25,000 budget on state-owned lands on which the Deaf, Blind and Orphans' Home for Negros was located; near Taft, OK. The institution was under the supervision of the State Board of Public Affairs.
This institution was consolidated with The State Hospital for Negro Insane & The Institute for Colored Deaf, Blind and Orphans in 1920, changing the name of all to The Consolidated Negro Institution at Taft.
In 1921 there seems to be a provision added to state law stating "The inmates of such training school shall not be confined in the penitentiary or required to work or associate with the convicts confined in the State Penitentiary, but shall be kept and maintained separate from the convicts." This section is in reference to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary, opened 1908 near Taft, OK. It seems before 1920, girls from the State School may have been subjected to working alongside or horrifyingly, living alongside the states worst convicted killers!