Sunnyside Sanitarium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Sunnyside Sanitarium
Opened 1917
Closed 1969
Demolished 1977
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Indianapolis, IN
Architecture Style WPA
Alternate Names
  • Marion County Tuberculosis Sanatorium


Opened in 1917 near Oaklandon (now part of Indianapolis) as an outgrowth of the pulmonary department of Wishard hospital. Sunnyside provided state of the art care and treatment for tuberculosis patients. It continued in operation until 1969 when new treatments for tuberculosis made the hospital and it's treatments obsolete. For a short time after closing, it held patients from the nearby VA hospital.