Tucker Sanatorium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Tucker Sanatorium
Opened 1916
Closed 1976
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Location Richmond, VA
Alternate Names
  • Tucker Pavilion at Chippenham Hospital


The Price House at 212 West Franklin Street. It was built between 1803 and 1805 in one of Richmond’s earliest subdivisions. In the course of two centuries, it was home to a Revolutionary War hero, a U.S. president and a wealthy local businessman and philanthropist, before being converted first to a hospital and then a retirement home.

The Tucker Sanatorium in Richmond, Va. occupied the mansion where President James Monroe once lived. In 1916, the Dooleys sold the Price House, and it underwent another transformation, becoming first the Tucker Sanatorium and then Tucker Hospital. The building underwent significant modifications and expansions as the hospital grew. The building acquired two large wings, and the hospital bought the A. S. Smith House (circa 1870) next door and connected the two buildings.

After the hospital moved to Chesterfield County in 1976, the Price and Smith houses stood idle before undergoing another remodel and reopening in 1978 as a private retirement home called the Dooley Madison Home. The Dooley Madison Home closed in 2003. Today it has been refurbished and turned into the the Presidential Club Condominiums.