King Edward Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 17:51, 20 October 2021 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = King Edward Hospital | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = | construction_ended = | op...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
King Edward Hospital
Opened 1911
Demolished 1991
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Architect(s) George G. Teeter
Location Winnipeg
Alternate Names
  • King Edward Isolation Hospital



History[edit]

The King George Hospital, designed by local architect George G. Teeter, offered care and treatment of patients with communicable diseases. For its time, it was considered one of the most modern isolation hospitals in the world. It was a key facility over the years for numerous epidemics, including the Spanish influenza epidemic of 1919 and the polio epidemic in the 1950s. By 1960, the focus of care had changed to chronic illness. The four-storey, two-winged building was demolished in 1999 to make room for Riverview Health Centre’s new complex. A commemorative plaque is located beside the original main entrance of the King George Hospital.

A Nurses’ Residence opened on the hospital grounds in 1921. It housed students from numerous affiliating schools of nursing. From 1979 until its demolition in 1991, the residence was used for multiple purposes, including staff housing. Its archway was preserved and remains at the site. In 1995, the Winnipeg Municipal Hospital began to focus on long-term care and was renamed the Riverview Health Centre.