Sunnyside Lunatic Asylum
|Sunnyside Lunatic Asylum|
|Building Style||Echelon Plan|
|Architecture Style||Victorian Gothic|
Sunnyside Hospital, Christchurch’s first mental asylum, was opened in 1863. It was built to house those who were considered insane, before then they had been held at the Lyttelton jail. The hospital was closed in 1999 and demolition began on its last building in late April 2007, to make way for a Ngāi Tahu housing development.