Rutland Heights State Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Rutland State Sanatorium
Rutland Heights State Hospital
Construction Began 1895
Closed 1991
Demolished 2004
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Pavilion Plan
Location Rutland, MA
Alternate Names
  • Rutland State Hospital
  • Rutland State Sanatorium



The Rutland State Sanatorium was established in 1895 by an act of the Massachusetts State Legislature. Originally called the Massachusetts Hospital for Consumptive and Tubercular Patients, it was the first state institution of its kind in the nation. Constructed in an unusual radial-pavilion plan it continued to operate at its original location until the early 60's. At that point, the buildings were sold to Becker College and the facility was moved to the campus of a former Veterans' Administration Hospital closer to Rutland center. Shortly after, the original campus burned to the ground. The hospital continued to function as the "Rutland Heights State Hospital," in its new location until its closure in 1991. With the exception of a gate house, all the remaining buildings were demolished in 2004.