Sheboygan County Asylum
|Sheboygan County Asylum|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||H. C. Kock & Co.|
The Sheboygan County Comprehensive Health Care Center, constructed in 1940 on the north side of County V east of Waldo was a home for the mentally ill, mentally retarded, developmentally disabled and elderly. From a typical county home in the early days to the transformation into a nursing home, the facility saw many changes and implementation of programs. From 1969 to 1978, the facility became an acute care service for the mentally ill and offered an alcohol and drug rehabilitation home. In 1975, the alcohol and drug unit was moved to Memorial Medical Center in Sheboygan. In 1978, county officials discontinued the mentally ill services and it became a county home for the developmentally disabled and chronically ill.
Then, in 1988, the state of Wisconsin became concerned about specialized individuals being in a nursing home setting. They then put into practice the state code 134. This code created the ICF/MR population program. The Intermediate Care Facility for Mentally Retarded residents became a part of the Comprehensive Health Care Center in 1988, and continued to be part of the services offered as the center was phased out and consolidated to two campuses, Sunny Ridge and Rocky Knoll. The site, which included a farming operation is now privately owned, undergoing renovation, and closed to public access.
|Whos here now: Members 0 Guests 1 Bots & Crawlers 1|