Wayne County Infirmary

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Wayne County Infirmary
Opened 1847
Closed 1975
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Architect(s) Emsley Ham
Location Centerville, IN
Architecture Style Federal
Alternate Names




History

Originally constructed in 1844 to a plot west of Centerville. In 1871 additional land was purchased doubling the size of the farm. By 1910 accommodations were made to house mentally ill residents. The old Wayne County Home was vacated and moved to the former Smith-Esteb Memorial Hospital in 1958 and remained there until it's closer in 1975.

Images of Wayne County Infirmary

Main Image Gallery: Wayne County Infirmary



References